Tuesday, February 24, 2015

How To Tea-Stain Or Dye Lace And Linens Naturally...

 
Tea Staining And Dye Fabrics, Living From Glory to Glory...





How To Make White Lace Or Fabric Look Vintage

When creating a project that needs a more antique or vintage look
The appearance will require something that looks like it was from
another era of beauty and style.

With just a very simple step that can make anything look very vintage!

This is called Tea Staining;

This can be done on white lace that needs to look vintage.
I have successfully done this on lace many times!

I have also done this with muslin material-
Tea Staining works very well on fabrics that are all natural 
Such as wool, cotton and linen.

~How a tea stain works to create a vintage or an old fashion appeal~

Sometimes a trim or a border for a project needs a vintage look
Any fabric that is light in color and needs a boost of vintage appeal, might just need
A bit of help from this (Tea Staining Process)

Heres How To Make This Simple Tea Stain

Boil your water
Add about 7 to 10 black tea bags to a large bowl or small basin tub
Add boiling water
Steep for 15-20 minutes
Place your lace or small linen into the bowl
Use a slotted spoon or tongs to move around your lace.

Living From Glory To Glry Blog


Watch and see how it will transform an item that looks brand new
to a vintage old fashion hue:
If you love an antique quality, you can take something new and create something
that is a one of a kind design. Isn't that what it is all about!

I have made Victorian looking rag dolls by tea staining my muslin material
Before I ripped the material into strips to make the dolls.

I have also used Tea Staining to rescue doilies that were ruined by a stain.

I have used Tea Stained lace for craft ideas and Valentine cards.

Every trim or lace will take on a different variation of color;
Just enjoy and create something that looks vintage and rich.




You can even use this on very large pieces of material that are all ready stained
You can bring new life to a table cloth that looks ruined from a stain that you have
not been able to remove!

Of course, this will require at least two large boxes of large tea bags to get this much stain,
To cover the tablecloth in a large basin or tub.

Glory to Glory Blog




Tips
"For a darker hue of stain on a piece of lace or fabric
Soak the fabric in water with a capful of fabric softener before submerging in the tea mixture
This also helps prevent the color from fading over time."

If it becomes too dark for your preference;
Just rinse under cool water!

Once you have your desired shade, squeeze out excess water and line dry!

Try this first on a smaller project to see how it works and how you like it.

Always wash these items that have been tea stained by hand!




Living From Glory To Glory Blog...


Creating vintage lovelies...

~Got Tea~





24 comments:

  1. Really nice tutorial Roxy! What a wonderful way to get that beautiful vintage look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have done that many times in the past, Roxy I used to make tea-stained dolls and clothes for them back in the 80s. It really does add such a nice "old" look to the pieces. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. A creative way of getting the effect you want. I once new a girl who tea dyed her wedding dress to get it looking the way she wanted it to. In the bath I think.

    Diana
    http://adifferentlenslens365.blogspot.co.nz/2015/02/gingerbread-houses.htmlet

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is lovely Roxy. I like the idea of tea staining some whites I have that are already stained.
    Does the stain come out if you wash the fabric after a while?
    Blessings to you.....Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the look of tea-stained lace and fabric and had never thought of rescuing a stained piece this way. Thank you for the suggestion...I'm going to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea. What a simple and easy way to get that worn look.

    Thank you for sharing,

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've done this often. We've also dyed material the same way when C was making dolls. It turned out wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So I love tea staining anything, and a few years back I loved making primitive dolls and tea staining the muslin to make them. Enter hubb......, comes in and says what are you cooking smells good, can I taste? Uh, well sure I guess you can. He lifts the lid of the Dutch oven on the stove and grabs the wooden spoon and realizes I am boiling fabric! LOL. The look on his face will forever be engrained in my memory...just wish I had a camera at that moment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Roxy! This is simply beautiful!! I just the love appearance of tea stained items...so clever and yet so simple! And lace - ah! How I love it!
    Hugs and much love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Roxy,
    What a great tutorial. I use this a lot in my work.
    It's great how the lace looks aged after this tea treatment :).
    You have a beautiful blog.
    I'm visiting from Roses of Inspiration. Will be following you.
    Blessings to you.
    Wilma.Shabby Royale.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! That is beautiful. I've never heard of that.
    R

    ReplyDelete
  12. Roxy, your blog is looking very lovely. I love tea staining pretty lace that is too white for my taste.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh how I love tea stained cloth and lace Roxy! I have not thought of this in some time, so it was wonderful to be reminded of this DIY! It's so vintage!!! I so appreciate your blog!!! I so hope you are having a lovely week! Spring is sure to come....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are most lovely and definitely have the "vintage look"! Thank you for sharing!
    Hope that you are doing well!!
    God Bless you!
    Love~
    Magggie

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is fabulous, my friend :) I just love the look of the tea stained lace - so vintage and charming.

    I must give this a go and will add it to my ever-growing list of things to do :) Thank you for sharing at ROI. Happy weekend! It is snowing today.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great tutorial Roxy! I love tea staining lace and ribbon. I do it this way, but also sometimes I put it on a cookie sheet and dry it in a 200 degree oven. It gives it a nice vintage look as well. If you leave ribbon crinkled in a pile on the cookie sheet you get some nice darker spots. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  17. Roxy, thanks for sharing this with us! It is also a frugal way to make something new :) though it would look vintage of course. Great tutorial, thanks for the tip about washing by hand too! Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the look of that! Thank you for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing these tips for tea staining fabrics for a vintage look. Thanks for joining and sharing this at Cooking and Crafting with J&J! Enjoy the week.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is such a neat idea! :)

    I would love for you to add this to my Recipes and Crafts Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  21. thank you for this post, I am a big big fan of this site would like to keep
    updated.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I plan to include a link to this post in my weekend reading post on November 7th.
    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  23. I plan to include a link to this post in my weekend reading post on November 7th.
    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete



I really appreciate your comments! May they be kind and helpful to encourage my walk, and bless others as they read them. Thank-you!

 
Copyright © living from glory to glory | Powered by Blogger
Design Customized With ❤️️ by My Fairy Blog Mother