Friday, January 9, 2015

Ways to Use Vicks VapoRub...

Living From Glory to Glory Blog

I have had this one little product in my medicine cabinet for years!
I have used it on so many sore throats and necks and muscles.

It is a small jar that packs a tough punch for ailments!

It is like so many medicinal items over the years;
We see a re-packaging and design, but I think the context is the same.

Vicks VapoRub is one of the oldest and best selling cold remedies on the market. Consumer marketing company Nielsen reports that the ointment is the number one cold treatment for children by overall sales in 2009. First sold in the 1890s as a croup and pneumonia remedy, VapourRub contains three active ingredients--camphor, eucalyptus oil and menthol.



Here is a list of a few great ideas for its use;

Sore Throat- Rub on throat and wrap with a strip of flannel
(Be in a sitting or a lounge chair)

Decongestant-  Rub on chest and just below in each nostril
(Place under chin for babies and toddlers)

Coughs- Rug generously on the bottoms of feet,
Cover with warm socks to help minimize coughing!

Sore Muscles- Rub generously into sore muscles.

Headaches- Rub onto forehead and temples, back of neck!

Earaches- Dab Vicks onto a cotton ball and place in ear.
To relieve some of the pain.
(You can also apply a heating pad over the ear)

Cracked Heels- Rub into feet in the morning and night;
(Wear a pair of sock to help the softening quicker)

Cold Sores- Rub some Vick's on the area as soon as you feel it coming on!
(Also, before you add the fix place an ice cube over spot till dumb)
This tells the virus to go back down...

Nail Fungus- Rub into affected toes with fungus,
The nail will turn dark in color, but it will grow out healthy!

Mosquito Repellent- Rub on bare, exposed arms and legs, and back of neck.

Itchy Bug Bites- Rub onto bug bites and then cover with a band-aid!






I have read and heard some controversy about this product;
But I have used this and find it safe with no side effects!
Yes, I am sure you can make a healthier version for yourself,
But, I still find comfort from this product, and I have many memories
From it being used when I was a child, and using it on my children when they
We're young and needed something to help a bad cold or an itchy bug bite.

I am just now recovering from pneumonia and I have used this daily for a bit of comfort!
I will keep my Vicks VapoRub...


Can you think of some other ways that Vicks has been used to help you!
I hope you will share them with me!


 

















































24 comments:

  1. Hi Roxy,
    I also read that if you rub it on the bottoms of your feet when you have a cough it is 100% effective in stopping the cough in 5 minutes....haven't had a cough lately, but it is worth a try. I use Vicks when I have a cold by putting some in boiling water in a bowl and putting a towel over my head making a little tent then I just breathe the steam,,,,very comforting
    Blessings from Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello and Thanks so much for stopping by and for taking the time to leave such a sweet comment!!
    What a pleasant surprise for me when I stopped by tp return your visit and found this wonderful post that brought back so many childhood memories!!
    My Mother used to use Vick's Vapor Rub when I had a cold!!

    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Old fashioned Vicks really is comforting and does help congestion for me. I always stock up on a jar or two of Vicks in very early fall before the cold and flu season starts. A few years ago they had a Vicks cream which I liked better for some things than the ointment, since it was not oily and didn't stain but they quit making the cream.

    Let's hope that we won't need our Vicks very many tines this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have several jars and have used it for years. It's great for mosquito bites!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Mama is a firm believer in Vick's. She always has some on hand! I didn't know it had so many benefits. I will now make sure I have it on hand myself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vicks is one of my comfort smells, if you can say it that way. My mother used it when I had a sore throat (with a piece of flannel, just as you described) and I put it under my nostrils. The aroma just makes me feel better. Thanks for all the suggestions on its use. I will try several of them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of childhood memories from Vicks. My mom used to rub it on chests and under noses every time we had a cold. In fact it's one of those things that when I smell it, I instantly think of my childhood. Perhaps it's time to bring it into the house again

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Roxy,
    First of all Happy New Year.
    I didn't know there were so many uses for this rub ; ) Thank you for the tips.
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband has fond memories of his mom rubbing his chest with Vicks when he was a little boy. He always makes sure we have a jar on hand.
    I'm sorry to hear you had pneumonia Roxy. Hope you are feeling better now.
    I am trying to catch up with my blog reading; not sure I wished you a Happy New Year! So Happy New Year to you, and I look forward to following you in 2015.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Roxy, isn't it amazing what the old Vick's will cure. I remember my mom putting it on my throat and chest when sick, then placing a towel over that. It worked every time, She would say, to make sure and wash it off the next day before going outside or your pours would be open. LOL
    Today I use the cream Vick's and it's less greasy!!
    Thanks for sharing this old RX that still works great!!
    Blessings
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  11. Roxy, my mom used Vicks on us kids all the time growing up. I remember her rubbing it on a washcloth and pinning it to our necks when we had a sore throat. And putting a little inside our nostrils when we had a stuffy nose. I still love the smell of it and have it in my medicine cabinet. My jar is a newer one. Would love to run across and old one!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  12. Be healed in Jesus Name by the power of His blood!

    I put some on my chest and throat just this morning. I've got some nasty congestion that is being stubborn about leaving.

    Blessings to you! Thanks for sharing all this.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  13. I lOVE vicks and that's why I make my own! There is something wonderful and soothing about it! Glad that you are on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pneumonia? Oh my...I certainly hope you are on the mend, dear Roxy! Reaching for jar of Vick's is always my go-to when I have a cold, cough or congestion. Although the directions tell us not to put in mucous membranes, I do put a small amount in my nostrils sometimes. The way I see it is it hasn't killed me after all of these years but I would never recommend going against the directions for use :) A fond memory of my childhood is breathing it's vapors when it was put in a pan with boiling water...under the "towel tent" :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Roxy, I am saving this post to use in future, in fact, I'll probably print it and put it in my medicine cupboard! I have heard elsewhere that putting Vicks on your feet and putting socks on works, so thank you so much for this post :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. As soon as I saw the many uses for Vicks I had to click on it and will add a post to my blog with a link to this article.

    I still put Vicks on a washcloth and put it on my chest when I have a cold.

    When I was a kid they had vaporizers that a small section to add vicks. It melted and inhaling it would sure help with a cold!!!

    Thank you for the wonderful article.

    Linda
    http://bestoflongislandandcentralflorida.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. It does sound like good stuff. Thanks for sharing its many uses.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, you can use Vicks for a lot - I guess it's not just for congestion :) I have been having a lot of headaches lately {not sure why} so I think I will try this remedy.

    Thank you, dearest Roxy, for sharing at Roses of Inspiration! I hope you are doing well. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Tee hee...I have an old glass bottle just like this! I am keeping it as a reminder of my childhood and how comforting it was to have my Mom rub this on my congested chest. I was prone to bronchitis but have thankfully outgrown it. I did just get over a chest flu cold this past week, though, and guess what I used? A new bottle of Vicks. There's just nothing like it! I am visiting from Stephanie's link.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've used Vicks under my nose and on my chest for years! Thanks for the suggeston of the other uses. I had no idea. To me, the smell of Vick's is a comfort smell!

    ReplyDelete
  21. When I use it, it reminds me of my mom who would rub it on my chest and put a piece of flannel in the oven to cover over it! long before microwaves! thanks, roxy.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love Vick's! My Great Grandmother, Grandmother, Mother all used it, and now I do too. We used it mainly for coughs, but I will definitely try it on my sore muscles, especially when gardening season comes around.

    ReplyDelete
  23. My mom used to put some in a bowl of steaming water. I'd lean over it with a towel over my head and breathe the steam.

    ReplyDelete
  24. First of all I love your blog. Thank you so much for the Vicks suggestions. I keep it in the bathroom and every nightstand in my home.am never without it. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
 
Copyright © living from glory to glory | Powered by Blogger
Design Customized With ❤️️ by My Fairy Blog Mother